Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Divided or Broken?

I was raised in a divided family. And in many ways I still find myself living in a divided family. As the oldest granddaughter, I was invited to sit alongside of my grandfather as he received the golden elephant award for the Henderson County Republican Party. As an only child, I learned my parents political persuasions were different. As a woman called to ordained ministry, I’ve had my southern Baptist ordained father-in-law hold my hands and pray for my ministry, and I have had others say “my ordination is incompatible with Christian teaching”   I listened to our “adopted daughter” share how she received a notebook on how not to be gay from her mother, and I listened as her mother begged me to help her see the biblical mandate. I yearly sit with my extended family on the porch of the beach house listening to a variety of perspectives on immigration. My family is divided. And in the midst of this diversity, I experience love and learn how to love.

Two weeks ago, I held a hand washing service as my church concluded a series based around our 2019 ministry theme:  “Serve.” I had the opportunity to wash so many different hands and my prayer was that God would use those hands to offer love and grace and mercy to our world. Two of the hands I washed were those of my parents. As I washed their hands and looked into their eyes I said, “May God continue to bless these hands who taught me how to love.” They are different different hands.  Politically one is conservative and one is liberal. One woke at 5:30 every morning to read the Bible and pray and the other spent the Sunday school hour each week catching up on the latest sports news from the night before. One sat in an office in the midst of academia and the other visited the dirt floor homes deep in the Jackson County Mountains. One is my mom and one is my dad.  They are different and together they taught me how to love.

I have spent the last few days in St. Louis with my other divided family called the United Methodist Church.  It was the church my parents chose after they married, it was the church I was baptized in, confirmed in, raised in,ordained in, am raising my children in, and it is the church that taught me how to love, who to love, and how to live.   Over these few days, I have listened as people passionately shared how they love without limits and others share how love calls them to uphold tradition and biblical authority. I have been yelled each morning by Christians on the streets who protest our conversation  on human sexuality. I have listened as my LGBTQ brothers and sisters sing “Jesus loves me.” I have cried. I have laughed. I have prayed. I have cried and prayed some more as I witnessed how divided we are. Love was present because God was present, but in the midst of the division it was not the love I recognized.  Yesterday after the General Conference voted to uphold our denomination’s traditional stance on marriage and ordination, I realized that our division is really an expression of our brokenness. We are divided, but more than that we are broken. We are a broken people in deep need of God’s healing power.

I was seated near a group of 30 some young adults who stood for almost 1 ½ hours chanting, screaming, “no,” and “stop the harm.”  I will hear the reverberations of their voices for a long time. In the midst of their chanting, I saw a broken church on the convention center floor. A group who desired unity gathered in a crucifix form on the conference floor, others danced and sang together,  and others sat silently alone at their table.

Walking out of the convention center, I heard many of our sisters and brothers holding hands and singing in solidarity.  Others walked out in silence. Police surrounded the convention center to maintain order. I wept. I thought to myself: this is my family and we are broken.  This is the church and we are broken. I continued to weep.

Many have asked what I am going to do.    I am still processing all of my feelings, and yet I know I am ready to walk into the brokenness.   There is so much brokenness in my life now: tomorrow I will officiate a funeral, Friday I will have a biopsy, Saturday I will be a mom at a  robotics competition and a dance competition, Sunday I will be in the pulpit proclaiming God’s word, Monday I will go with my mom to her first chemo treatment, Tuesday I will learn the results of my biopsy, and Wednesday is Ash Wednesday.  I will walk with those who are in their darkest valleys, I will face the sterile environment of medical uncertainties, I will join #teamkaki on the journey of chemo, and I will confess my sin and invite others to confess their sin. I will remember my own mortality.   I will proclaim that good news that resurrection comes from brokenness. I will confront the brokenness that does harm, and I will weep with the brokenness that excludes. I will hold those who feel broken and alone. I will wash broken hands, I will serve alongside broken people, and I will forever pray for healing and restoration.  I will trust that God is at work in my divided family. I will walk in the brokenness, and I will love.

17 comments:

  1. Sally, I love you and am praying for your mom, you, our churches and this world that is broken.

    Thank you for everything you do!!
    Love, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Sally. We are all feeling that brokenness. I pray God moves quickly to heal the fracture we all feel so vividly. Though I wasn't in St. Louis, I watched the proceedings. I cheered when JJ spoke so passionately. I cried as the final vote came down. I pray for you and your ministry. More importantly I pray for your health and that of your mother because to me, that is more pressing. God's got you, just as God has the church. I love you lady. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love never ends, fails, dies--which ever translation one reads, love lives and remains the source of our hope! Praying for all and for you especially Preacher! It is hard being a care giver and care receiver at the same time! Such is the life of a pastor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prayed for you these past few days. I don’t envy any of you that were delegates. I can agree to a certain extent with all sides on the issues. I was always raised to love everyone. I was also commanded to not judge, just love.
    I also understand the fear that comes from the loosening of long held values they’ve been taught their entire life.
    We do indeed live in a broken world. None of us individually can change the whole world. But we can change the whole world for a few people each day. Live a sermon instead of preaching one. Random acts of kindness make the world go round. GLYASDI
    Walter Cox

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gift. Thank you Sally! I'm proud to call you colleague and friend. Prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Sally, I am thankful you have fought the "good fight" for God, yourself, your family, your church and community. These upcoming days will be challenging, but God will be with you as He has promised to never leave us. You are a most special person which is why God has placed you where you are. You, your mom and your husband and children and father will be in my daily prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for giving me a broader perspective on what is happening in the church. Question - do the delegates the supported the Traditional Plan believe that LGBTQ persons should be allowed to be members of our congregations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. We are united in our agreement that all people are welcome in United Methodist Churches. I'm not sure how that gets lived out in all contexts. (Helping out since Sally is really busy :)).

      Delete
    2. the denomination's official stance is that all are individuals of sacred worth, so this would support the LGBTQ community becoming members of our church....the phrase "incompatible with Christian teaching" is used to describe homosexuality and thus limits their full inclusion into the church with regards to marriage and ordination.

      Delete
  8. Sally, God has this~~Your Mom, you, your family, the church, all are in his loving, comforting arms and He will never leave you or forsake you. Praying for you all always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. Way to walk Sally! You have this... There is never change without pain.! I will miss the update on Kaki while out of the country but will keep her in my prayers for healing and peace for all effected, as I am sure is in God's plan; because your Mom is a person of Influence... Her journey is to proclaim his name and her testimony of complete healing will validate her beliefs to those who are still on the line of complete trust in our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Nancy Morse Gordon

      Delete
  10. Sally, thank you for sharing. I am praying for you. Much love to you and your family.
    Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sally, you love fiercely! It's in your heart, your eyes, your actions and loving arms. You teach it and live it. It's who you are! YOUR LOVE is felt by me personally --- it is steadfast, contagious, consistent and needed! Thank you! Thank you for your transparency and keeping your church in the know and for loving us. Love, in abundance, will be returned to you. I'm sad for the whirlwind that surrounds you right now. I pray deeply for you, your loving mother, your dear family and our church. God is good and he will hold you up in need; I pray his arms will surround you in love and support. I love you Pastor Sally! We need you and your leadership! One day at a time, with the Armor of God, and of course love!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sally, I was so grateful to discover (at the 11 hour) that you and John Boggs and Amy Coles were representing our district and I did send an email to all three of you during the convention. All I will say hear is that your call to ministry is genuine (clearly supported in scripture) and I, like you have a divided family in many more ways than you will close relatives I love and one who has a "wife"and sperm donor sons who share my family name. I LOVE them! This whole nightmare is crushing to one who has been a Methodist for 70 + years. I is terrifying to me that many of the highest level leaders in our church have compounded this whole brokeness by dividing us into "those who sadly succeeded in keeping our Discipline as written" and "those who are hurt and denied the grace and love of Jesus Christ." That kind of division will bring about the brokeness that you so eloquently describe in this blog and I promise to pray that you will press on toward our healing. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Sally, some of your Cooperative Baptist Fellowship sisters and brothers were in St Louis last week for another meeting, but we stayed in the same hotels and flew home on the same planes. We spoke and cried with you Please know that many of us prayed before the meeting and will continue to pray with you for a shared and uncertain future. Blessing on you personally my sister ( or daughter feels appropriate as well) and the UMC as a whole.

    ReplyDelete