Friday, March 8, 2019

A New Club

Today is International Women’s Day.  I have always been an advocate for women’s rights.  I have always been encouraged to be what I wanted to be, to speak up for myself and others, and to never settle for anything.  As an only child, I was rightly called bossy. Today I call that leadership.

My grandfather used to say there was no such thing as a SHE Boss.  However, he knew better than that, he was married to a very independent and outspoken woman and he was the father to three girls who grew to be strong, independent women known as “the Goforth girls.”  Four of his 5 grandchildren were all girls and have grown to be strong, independent women. I am raising 3 girls, who have strong opinions, speak their minds, stand up for themselves, and are certainly SHE bosses in the making.  (I often wonder where their determination comes from?!).

I am a proud graduate of a woman’s college.  At Meredith College, I earned a BS in Biology that taught me to think and reason.  I was shaped by my advisor, Dr. Swab who insisted that I write and speak clearly. I was gifted with friends who became like sisters, and I am forever grateful for an education that taught me to lead and love.  

When God called me into ordained ministry, I never considered that some would disagree with a woman’s role in the life of the church.  I remember the day I was told in the Cardiac Care Unit that the doctor called for the Chaplain not his secretary, or the day the pastor let me know his church would not be participating in a community Thanksgiving Service because he preaches and teaches against women in the pulpit, or the day the church directory photographer told me he was not used to preachers looking pretty like me.  I am the first female senior pastor at the church I currently serve. Some call me and sister clergy “incompatible with Christian teaching,” but nevertheless we preach, teach and lead.

This week I joined another club of strong and independent women.  I was diagnosed with breast cancer on Monday. A mass showed-up on a routine mammogram (the second I had ever had) which led to more images and a biopsy.  I have met with a surgeon, a genetic counselor, my family doctor, and I have been in conversation with an oncologist this week. This was a club that I never hoped to join, and yet here I find myself with countless other women who have faced breast cancer.  I am 41 years old, and I am ready to fight. I am strong (as I told me twins, strong as ****). This will not have the last word. I will not be defined by cancer. I will live into my faith and my strength will be defined by the power of God that lives within me.  This She Boss is ready to fight.



*** if you have been putting off a routine examination for early detection.  Please, use this as a friendly and BOSSY reminder to make an appointment.

13 comments:

  1. You and God got this. #kickingcancertothecurb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for complete healing for you. I'm a survivor, as well (colon cancer). It rocks your world to hear that ugly word, but you can beat it down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a survivor. You are in good company. None of us were looking for an invitation to this club, but we are still stalwart and proud...and grateful...members. You and that Goforth girl have all of us as cheerleaders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was assigned the handle, Aroostercrat, (Bill Wilhelm)

      Delete
  4. God’s got this. Praying for you Sally. Wrap yourself in healing scriptures and believe you are healed even before you begin. Love you lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You’ve got this with God! I am a 4 1/2 year survivor and I am cheering for both you and your moma! Kick cancers butt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a She Boss! You are a leader! You are a fighter! You are God's beloved!
    #GodsGotThis!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a 26-year survivor of colon cancer. It does not define me, but was something that happened along the way in my wonderful life. I remember being so encouraged by the countless survivors who cared enough to step into my path. Each stood as a solid example of how cancer does not define a person. One day this will be a moment that simply happened along the way in what has been, and will be, your wonderful life. I love you. I can’t wait till this is just a memory for both you and your mom. By the way, God’s got this, anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sally, Laura and I were saddened to learn of this diagnosis. We were, however, lifted up by knowing that God is the Great Physician. We pray that the light of his Grace will shine strongly upon you and your family as you engage in this battle. You are among his best warriors. The image of the youthful David comes to mind. There is an army of believers with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear SHE Boss, my heart was torn as I read your blog. Your Cullowhee family will pray for you as you go down this new road. The Wootens know how to fight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying for you dear friend! I am an 8 year cervical cancer survivor! We, as stong mountain women know how to fight!! You’ve got this and we are right behind you

    ReplyDelete
  11. You go PREACHER MAMA!!! will def be lifting you Kevin and the girls often! #cancersucks; #cancermetitsmatch; #sheboss

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sally, so sorry you have to deal with all of this at the same time. You and your mom are so strong and we know God is good. Know that love from many will see you guys thrlugh the tough times. Many hugs,and prayers from one more cancer survivor .... Gale Smith

    ReplyDelete