Wednesday, August 20, 2014

A Day of Uncertainty

I woke-up 7 years ago today and my water broke 12 weeks before our twins were due.  I remember calling Dr. Herring.  I remember the serious looks on the faces of the nurses at Cleveland Regional.  I remember the reality of the words spoken by Dr. Lampley.  I remember the ambulance ride to Carolinas Medical Center.  I remember the swarms of nurses and doctors who came with ultrasounds, medications, and lots of questions.  The day was filled with uncertainty.  It was not time for our babies to be born.  They were so small.  Their lungs were not fully developed.  It was not clear if labor could be stopped or delayed.  It was not clear what that day or the days that would follow would bring to the Queen household. 

I also remember the visits from God that day.  God's presence was made real through Pastor Jeff who came to the hospital right away and through Rusty Eskew who drove our car to Charlotte, so Kevin could ride with me in the ambulance.  God's presence was felt through the hugs of our parents and the calls from our friends.  God's love was made real through the prayers of the faithful that we cried out on our behalf.  God kept me grounded through the reading of Psalm 139 and Psalm 46.  In the midst of uncertainty, God was there. 

As we approach the twin's birthday every year, I remember this day.  I remember its uncertainty and I remember the one thing that was certain:  God was with us.  This morning, I  paused to snuggle with Ella and Mattie a little longer than normal out of a deep sense of knowing that God is with us. 



1 comment:

  1. It was a very scary day and not one that I want to repeat. I hope we never have too deal with it again but one thing is for sure, God will be with us.

    ReplyDelete