Friday, February 20, 2015

Dads and Daughters







I have anxiously been waiting for Kevin and the twins to get home.  They went to the Daddy/Daughter Dance at church tonight.  Ella and Mattie got new dresses and black paten shoes with heels (all from the clearance rack).  We fixed their hair and painted their nails.  We found fancy purses and shawls in my closet.  They were so excited!   I remember a similar date with my dad.  My sophomore year at Meredith, we had a Father/Daughter dance.  It was such a fun evening dancing the night away with my dad.






Dad and daughters share a special relationship.  I have always admired my dad and he has always made me feel like his special princess.  While in seminary I had some car trouble.  My dad drove all the way from Cullowhee to Durham after work to check on me and trade cars.  He drove the 5 hour drive back that night.  I remember thinking then, “my daddy sure loves me a lot.”  I also know that as much as my dad loves me, that God’s love for me is even greater. 
My Lenten devotions this year are coming from Jan Richardson who is a author and artist and ordained United Methodist clergy person.  She began the reflections reminding readers that we are BELOVED.  Our beloved-ness is because God has chosen us as God's children.  We are created in God's image and loved beyond imagination.  I am grateful that my dad gave me a glimpse of God’s love, and I am so thankful that Ella and Mattie (and Kate) experience God’s love through the gift of their daddy. 




No comments:

Post a Comment