Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Words are Important



I remember learning the rhyme, “sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.”  I believe that is not true.  Words do matter.  They are powerful and communicate a long lasting message to those who hear them. 

My morning devotion was from Jan Richardson who shared a description of a man suffering from a brain tumor that affected his speech.  This man was able to randomly articulate words and Jan reflected that perhaps these words “Blessing, blest, grace, friends, church, my voice, your voice” were words that he regularly used in life and thus provided a definition of his life.  She then said,  

 

“I find myself wondering: if I were able to speak only the words that I had used most often in my life, which ones would come to the surface? Which words would I remember best? Or perhaps the question is, which words would remember me best, finding their way to me because I loved them and used them so frequently?” 

 

The devotion has challenged me to think of the words I commonly use and what they might convey about me.  I would hope these would be words like “love, grace, inclusion, promise, hope, and life.”  And yet, I fear, that to my family the words, “no, stop, be nice, don’t, not now, come here, and hurry up” are some of the words frequently heard.  These are totally opposite sets of words.  One set of these words opens opportunity and creates space; while the other closes and shut downs.

I think of the words the church uses.  My own denomination has a slogan, “open hearts, open minds, open doors.”  And yet some hear, “no, we’ve never done it that way,” “stop running in the sanctuary,” “don’t show-up dressed like that,” “you’re not welcome come here.”  Again, two opposite sets of words spoken by the church.

I realize I must continue to  correct my children, and yet I can find ways for my words to reflect my heart.  And my heart deeply cries out, “love, grace, inclusion, promise, hope, and life.”  I hope these are the words that find their way out of my mouth.       

No comments:

Post a Comment