Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Juggling Life




Coach Proffitt taught us how to juggle in PE class using red, green, and yellow handkerchiefs.  I remember asking for a set one year for Christmas, so that I could improve my technique.  I never really advanced beyond the handkerchief stage, but I did learn that it takes skill to juggle. 

Life puts my skill and ability to test as I daily juggle work, drop-off, pick-up, after school activities, Kevin’s work, church, and life.  Many days it feels like everything is up in the air and I don’t have a tight hold on any one role or task to which I am called.  Today it feels like everything is piled-up in a big mess on the floor.  We woke-up to a surprise snow this morning resulting in a school delay and later closure.  Tuesday, February 24 was full on my calendar.  Meetings and phone calls were lined-up at 10, Noon, 1:30 and 4:00.  Kevin’s calendar was similar and just when we worked out a compromise his morning meeting was postponed to the afternoon.  My pile kept rearranging. 

So, here I sit in my living room at my house where I have made some calls, done some work, and am now typing my blog.  And yet, I have also snuggled with my 3 girls, sang songs and read to Kate, made “the best grilled cheese” for the girl’s lunch, and taken the chance to soak in some extra moments with my girls. 

And I have to remember that most days my juggling is manageable, but not solely because of my skill or technique, but because I don’t juggle alone.  I have a wonderful support system that helps to take hold on one piece, so that I can tend to another.  A husband that cooks dinner and does bedtime, so I can chair a PTO meeting, a wonderful babysitter that picks my kids up, does homework, empties my dishwasher and gladly receives strange requests via text from me, and a mom who for over 7 years has come to our house most every week to help out a day or two or more.  In addition to Kevin, Caitlin, and mom, we have a lot of others who willingly jump into the mix and keep the juggling from crashing to the ground.  In this Lenten season, I am grateful to be part of the Body of Christ where no one ever juggles alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment