Wednesday, March 18, 2015

In the World


It happened on Monday!  Ella said “you look cute mom!”  I was feeling a little self-conscious about what I was wearing, so I responded “you think this looks okay?”  “Yes, mom, I love it!”  So, now I am seeking fashion advice from my 7-year old diva in the making

I am a lover of cute clothes, jewelry, and shoes.  I love to shop especially when I can find a good bargain.  I remember struggling with this when I accepted my call to ministry.  How could I possibly balance Jesus’ call to give to the poor and maintain my sense of fashion and shopping hobby?   I could not deny these things about myself, they are part of Sally.  A call to ordination was not synonymous with unfashionable, out of touch, dull, and boring.  In fact, just the opposite, the best way to live into my calling is to allow the Sally that God created to become the person that God was calling. 

My love for Jesus calls me to live in the world without being of the world.  I like to think this Is a good witness. I deeply desire for the Sally in the pulpit to be the Sally in the grocery store, at the PTO meeting, and in the office.  For me, to genuinely answer God’s call, I offer all of who I am to the transforming love of God.  Above all else, I love God and God’s people.  And I love long necklaces, scarves, and, Alex and Ani silver bangles.  My open toe wedges look best with OPI Red toe nail polish.  And spending a day walking around the mall, TJ Maxx, or Target does my soul good, especially if that day is spent with my mama hunting a good deal.  These loves of mine are not a matter of vanity.  These loves are a matter of authenticity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment