Thursday, March 5, 2015

It is Good


This week my Lenten devotions by Jan Richardson have focused on bodies.  We have physical bodies that were created in God’s image and are “fearfully and wonderfully made” (Psalm 139:14) and God’s great love for humanity came in bodily form as “the word became flesh and dwelt among us” (John 1:14).   As followers of Christ, we continue to celebrate the body as we share the broken bread and poured out wine, so that we can become the body of Christ for the world. 

The truth is I don’t like my body.  I have always struggled with this.  I don’t like to wear sleeveless shirts because I don’t like my arms.  My calves are big and muscular, so I have to buy extended calf or “fat calf boots.”  My face is round.  My feet are short and wide.   And the list could go on.  There are so many physical changes that I would make to my body.  And yet I know that my body is a gift.  I am healthy.  I can move easily and freely.  I do not experience daily physical pain.  My body is a gift.  My life is a gift. 

We live in a culture that defines that proper body type through the tight fitting clothes that are sold, the models in advertisements, and the obsession on weight loss programs and products.  Our culture says that only one body type is desirable.  I live in the midst of these messages.  Theologically, I want to honor my physicality as a gift from God that was created in God’s own image and was called good.  Culturally, I hear that my body is not good enough.  I live in that tension.    And I struggle.  In my head, I can say “I am a beautiful creation of a creative and life giving God” and then, I look into the mirror and see the flaws. 

 My life is so much more than my physical nature and yet my body is of value.  Biologically, I appreciate the intricate design of our physical bodies, and so I can say that humanity is fearfully and wonderfully made.  Ella and Mattie were born 11 weeks early.  Kevin was able to take a picture of them in the operating room before they rushed the off to the NICU.  The picture showed them in all their “rawness.”  They were tiny and fragile.  Their skin coloring was not a normal healthy pink.  Ella was all bruised from spending 3 days in the birth canal since my water had broken.  Mattie was so scrawny that you could practically count her ribs.  And yet, they were (and are) beautiful!  They are fearfully and wonderfully made.  I looked at them and saw the beauty of God, and it was good.  I am asking God to give me the eyes of grace when I look at myself, so that I can claim it as good.   


 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment