Friday, October 24, 2014

Daring and Bold

Today is day 24 of a 31 day blogging challenge with my friend and colleague reverendmommy, Robin Fitzgerald.We will be using a daily word prompt fro m katemotaung.com.
 

Today’s word is not a descriptive that I would use for myself.  I am not very daring or adventurous.  I am not spontaneous.  I am a rule follower.  I am predictable.  My cousin Ben though is quite the opposite.  He has never turned down a dare.  If someone poses a challenge, Ben is ready to go.  I have watched him climb a statue, wear a red polyester suit, and eat and eat and eat some more all in the name of fulfilling a dare or meeting a challenge.  Ben has always played on the edge, he poked holes through plastic covering of a watermelon at the grocery store, locked my grandfather out of the car to keep from getting a spaking, stuck a paper clip in a light socket at school, and drove an old beat up van across the country after high school. 
Though daring is not part of my personality, I admire it about Ben.  Just as Ben is willing to take hold of most any dare, he is also willing to take hold and stand firm in his faith.   Daring can be defined as having the necessary courage or boldness for something.  Ben is courageous and bold when it comes to knowing and serving Jesus.  He pastors a church and leads them forward in mission and ministry.  
Ben's ordination.  Tom GIbson and I laid hands on Ben with Bishop Goodpaster.

I am thankful to share a call to ministry with Ben.  We have gotten to share some sacred moments together.  We co-officiated his sister’s wedding.  I was privileged to lay hands on him at his ordination and to baptize his son.  We officiated our grandmother’s funeral together.  I was blessed that he baptized Kate and honored that he invited me to preach at his church.  He is a respected leader in our annual conference.  He is no-She Boss, but a strong, effective and faithful leader.  For all the dares that he has completed, he daily lives out his dare to represent Christ.  I may never climb a statue or join in a eating contest, but I choose to join Ben in boldly representing Jesus in the world.   Are you willing to join us in that dare?


Ben baptizing Kate Marie.

No comments:

Post a Comment