Wednesday, October 22, 2014

My first "C"

Today is day 22 of a 31 day blogging challenge with my friend and colleague reverendmommy, Robin Fitzgerald.We will be using a daily word prompt from katemotaung.com.


 


My junior English teacher was a petite, spunky woman who often tapped danced around her classroom.  She had the most welcoming and enthusiastic personality and really made English literature come alive.  She also gave me my first “C” on a paper.  I was devastated.  Other teachers had commented that I was a good writer, and I had even won a Thomas Wolfe Writing award in 8th grade.  I thought I had done a good job on my paper about the Scarlett Letter.

At my parent’s encouragement, I went to talk to Mrs. Salzano about my paper.  I babysat for her children, so I had an outside relationship with her, but still felt nervous about the conversation.  I don’t remember anything I said that day, but I will never forget what she said, “I have high expectations and trust that you will rise to meet them.  I will not settle for anything less than your best.”  Her expectation challenged me to become an even better writer and more effective communicator.   Mrs. Sal helped me to grow.  I am grateful!

 




No comments:

Post a Comment