Sunday, October 5, 2014

Happy Homecoming!

Today is day 5 of a 31 day blogging challenge with my friend and colleague reverendmommy, Robin Fitzgerald.We will be using a daily word prompt from katemotaung.com.


Today was the day, 7 years ago that we brought Ella and Mattie home from the hospital.  We had been STUCK in the NICU for 43 days since their premature arrival into our world.  Though it didn’t feel that way at the time, it was a very uneventful NICU stay.  Basically the girl’s biggest challenge was to suck, swallow, and breathe at the same time.  After a last minute blood transfusion and Mattie FINALLY passing her car seat test that could demonstrate she wouldn’t stop breathing on the way home from the hospital, we were discharged and on our way. 

Freedom from machines and isolations gowns was welcomed and also met with some anxiety.  We were on our own without these safety measures in place and it was our turn to care and protect for our girls.  I remember sitting between them on the car ride home, and promising that I would always make sure they knew how much God and other people love them.  I told them about all the people who had prayed for their homecoming.     

This morning, after communion, our family of 5 knelt to pray and share something we were thankful for.  My thanksgiving was that 7 years ago, I brought two precious gifts home.  We are a family.  As their mom, I am not perfect, but I will never stop telling them about God’s love and how God’s presence sustains them.  I hope that message will stick for a lifetime. 

Happy Homecoming Ella Grace and Mattie Jane!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment