Friday, October 31, 2014

Leaving Well

Today is day 31 of a 31 day blogging challenge with my friend and colleague reverendmommy, Robin Fitzgerald.We will be using a daily word prompt from katemotaung.com. 


As a child, playdates always ended with the reminder that if I gave my mom a hard time about going home then I wouldn’t be invited back or allowed to return to my friend’s house.  All my mom had to do was give “the look” and I knew the whining or the tears better get turned off because she meant what she said (she was the world’s meanest mother after all!).  Her early behavior management technique helped me to learn that it is important to leave well.

This lesson has benefitted me as a United Methodist pastor.  I have been appointed to serve congregations and then appointed to serve another.  My leadership to the congregation is completed by how I say goodbye to the congregation.  I have tried to encourage congregations to continue using their gifts to be the church and to support and love their new pastor just as they have supported and loved me.  I offer words of affirmation for the pastor who is following me.  I try to fulfill commitments and leave things in a way for the new pastor to lead the congregation forward.  It is important to leave well.

Today ends a 31 day blogging journey for me.  It has really challenged me to write something every day in October, but it has been a really great discipline for me.  I cannot promise to write a blog every day from here on out, but I do promise to continue writing.  This is an end to a daily journey, but it is not an end to my blogging.  I enjoy writing.  I enjoy reflecting.  I am grateful to those of you who have shared comments with me and to all who have been reading.  I leave these 31 days with a renewed commitment to written reflection.  And I leave you with a blessing that has been used throughout the years in United Methodist youth groups,

 


            “May the Lord bless you and keep you.

            May the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you.

            May the Lord lift his countenance upon you and give you peace.”  Numbers   6: 24-26

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment