Thursday, October 9, 2014

Joined Together


Today is day 9 of a 31 day blogging challenge with my friend and colleague reverendmommy, Robin Fitzgerald.We will be using a daily word prompt from katemotaung.com.
 
Kevin is my high school sweetheart.  We have been a part of each other’s lives since he was a senior.  This weekend we will go to our hometown to celebrate his 20th high school reunion.  Wow!  20 years that Kevin has been part of my life.  20 years that I have called him my best friend.  Our relationship began as a friendship.  I never anticipated it would turn into marriage and yet in December we will celebrate our 12th anniversary. 

The most recent wedding I officiated was for Amanda and Andrew Johnson.  Amanda was a former youth of mine and a former student of Kevin’s.  Their wedding was at a beautiful venue in Charleston on a hot September afternoon.  They, too, were high school sweethearts.  One of the most powerful moments for me in a wedding ceremony is after the exchange of vows and rings, when I get the privilege of announcing the couple’s union.  I place my hand over the top of their joined hands and pray, “Those whom God has JOINed together, let no one put asunder.”
 
Amanda and Andrew Johnson
 

These words speak to faithfulness in marriage and they speak to commitment.  Marriage is hard.  It demands time, sacrifice, energy and work.  When left un-nurtured, people grow apart and the busyness of life poses distractions that can lead to divisions and unfaithfulness.  There are days Kevin doesn’t like me and I don’t like him and yet we remember our commitment to each other.  The nagging from me or the dirty clothes on the floor from him are really not as important as the love that we share.  We remember the gift of our marriage.  We remember the God who joined us together and we seek God's presence in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment