Monday, October 13, 2014

Value of Work

Today is day 13 of a 31 day blogging challenge with my friend and colleague reverendmommy, Robin Fitzgerald.We will be using a daily word prompt from katemotaung.com.


I met RG while I was in high school.  He and I were volunteering for a Christmas ministry that provided toys and clothes to families in need.  I would help the parent shop and RG would help carry their new gifts to the car.  I learned that he was a recovering alcoholic and his past had caused him to have a strained relationship with this family.  He was probably in 40s, though looked much older.  I enjoyed chatting with him and when I learned that RG had no one to spend Christmas day with, I asked my parents if he could come to our families’ dinner. 

Dad and I picked RG up brought him to our house for our traditional Christmas day meal.  My family members had wrapped gifts for RG.  Gloves, socks, toboggan, and peanut brittle. Everyone was kind and gracious to him and tried to make him feel welcome. 

About a week after Christmas, RG called and wanted to know if I could come visit because he had something for me.  He handed me a wrapped present with a sticker on the outside that said Hollifields (which is Jackson County’s local jewelry store).  Oh my!  Inside the beautiful package was a 14K gold ID bracelet with my name engraved.  It was beautiful, but I know RG didn’t have the money to purchase this.  I learned a valuable lesson that day, people need to give. 
 
 

RG had spent the money from his hard WORK on me because he wanted to say thank you for my hospitality.  I didn’t want to accept this extravagant gift; I wanted him to eat, not buy me jewelry.  I wanted him to feel loved and to have someone to share time on Christmas day I did not expect a thank you present.  Yet, it was his way of saying “thank you.”  I learned the best way to honor his work was to accept the gift, to thank him, and to wear my new bracelet.  He was so proud.  He wanted to give.  He wanted to know that his work meant something.  In turn, he embodied Colossians 3:23, “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord.”   

No comments:

Post a Comment